Monday, July 26
Newport, Gwent, UK

Match Centre

1st Team

Newport City


Trethomas Bluebirds

Welsh League Division 3 15/02/2019 @ 19:30 Newport Stadium

Newport City’s poor run of form continued as they extended their winless run to eight games following a dismal 3-1 defeat to Trethomas Bluebirds at the Newport Stadium.

The Steelmen got off to the worst possible start after a mix up in the defence saw Adam Jones through on goal, but the defender saw his low shot from inside the area saved by City keeper Tom Pass. However the save proved in vain as the rebound was slammed into the back of the net from close range by Matt Prosser, handing the visitors the lead after just two minutes.  Shocked by the early setback, the hosts almost levelled the score two minutes later, but Mark Dunford saw his close range header saved by Bluebirds keeper Gareth Williams following a cross by Gareth Hole. City were instantly punished for the missed opportunity when Trethomas doubled their lead with a second goal by Prosser who smashed in another close range rebounded effort after Pass had initially saved Dan Richards’ strike inside the area.

The visitors continued to dominate the game and almost increased their lead through Adam Jones who saw his goal bound strike blocked by Taylor Rees-Zammit inside the area; while Ricky Jones was denied after seeing his low close range strike blocked by Pass. City found themselves chasing shadows for most of the opening half, but they almost pulled one back through Joseph Ward who saw his strike from the edge of the area saved by Williams. Ultimately City were forced to dwell on a poor opening half as they entered the interval with a mountain to climb.  

HT 0-2

The Steelmen restarted the game better than they had in the first half and threatened through substitute Martyn Mickiewicz who struck a long range effort just over the bar. Meanwhile Dunford saw a scuffed shot from the edge of the area grasped by Williams. City were eventually rewarded for their pressure when a cross into the area by Rhys Wood was latched on by Hole who smashed a low finish into the back of the net; the goal coming in the 57th minute. Buoyed by the goal, City almost levelled the score on the hour mark when Wood saw his 20 yard effort grasped by Williams.

Despite their pressure, City were brought back down to earth with a bump in the 68th minute when Prosser completed his hattrick with a close range volley into the top right hand corner of the net. Things got worse for City just a minute later when they were reduced to ten men after Mickiewicz was given his marching orders following an alleged dangerous challenge on Richards.  

With the game effectively over as a contest, the visitors looked to increase their lead and came close in the dying minutes through substitute Aaron Colwill who saw his strike tipped wide past the left hand post. That was effectively the last meaningful piece of action as City were forced to endure another miserable result.  

 FT 13  

Questions still remain over whether or not City can pull away from the danger zone as they remain winless in 2019. The need for a win is imperative as they side continue to nervously look over their shoulders at the bottom end of the league table.

To read more about the fortunes of Newport City, visit or follow @yddraigHQ on Twitter.

Marc Davies


Previous meetings

27 Oct 17 19:15 WFL 3 Trethomas Bluebirds v Newport City 2 - 3
09 Feb 18 19:15 WFL 3 Newport City v Trethomas Bluebirds 1 - 3
15 Feb 19 19:30 WFL 3 Newport City v Trethomas Bluebirds 1 - 3
15 Mar 19 19:30 WFL 3 Trethomas Bluebirds v Newport City 2 - 2
20 Aug 19 19:15 WFL D2 Trethomas Bluebirds v Newport City 1 - 1
28 Mar 20 14:00 WFL D2 Newport City v Trethomas Bluebirds

Enjoy this blog? Please spread the word :)