Monday, July 26
Newport, Gwent, UK

Match Centre

1st Team

Newport City


Caerau FC

Welsh League Division 3 27/02/2019 @ 19:30 Newport Stadium

Newport City arrested a winless run of nine games after finally securing their first victory in 2019 following a 3-1 win against Caerau at the Newport Stadium.

In what turned out to be a superb first half performance, the Steelmen almost went ahead in the seventh minute after a cross into the area by Joshua Beddis was volleyed narrowly over the bar by Jordan Chubb. City did eventually score just five minutes later after another cross into the area by Beddis was slammed into the back of the net by Gareth Hole from close range, handing the hosts a deserved lead. Hole then almost turned provider just two minutes later after his cross into the area was connected by Chubb, but the latter struck another effort narrowly wide over the bar.

Chubb almost scored again two minutes later when his low close range shot was spilled by Caerau keeper Jonathan Davies, but the latter managed to grasp the ball at the second attempt as he denied Hole a simple tap in from the rebound. City continued to threaten and came close to scoring again in the 21st minute when another cross into the area by Beddis found the unmarked Joe Ward, but the midfielder directed his header over the bar. The Steelmen were eventually rewarded for their relentless pressure eight minutes later after another cross into the area by the lively Beddis was headed into the back of the net by Chubb who deservedly doubled the hosts’ lead. Things got even better for City shortly before the break when a clever attacking move saw Chubb tap the ball into the six yard box towards the path of Hole, allowing the latter to calmly slot the ball low into the bottom right hand corner to hand the hosts an unassailable lead at the interval.

HT 3-0  

City restarted the game brightly and almost extended their lead soon after the break when Beddis fired a shot narrowly wide past the right hand post, while Chubb also forced Jonathan Davies into a fine save. The Steelmen continued to dominate as Owain Morgan almost scored on the hour mark through a 15 yard strike, but the Midfielder saw his effort grasped desperately by Davies on the goal line. The hosts did eventually score once again after Hole bundled the ball into the back of the net from close range; but the goal was chalked off for an alleged foul by Hole on the goalkeeper.

The visitors did eventually pull a goal back in the 72nd minute through Thomas Krauze who fired home after the visitors were controversially awarded a debatable penalty followed an alleged foul inside the area. The goal rattled City as slack defending by substitute Lee Bridgeman almost allowed Krauze to pull another goal back for the visitors, but the attacker saw his effort from the edge of the area grasped by City keeper Pateev. However with ten minutes left Krauze turned from hero to zero after receiving a red card following a crunching challenge on Jordan Francombe, leaving the visitors down to ten men.

The one man advantage allowed City to restore their authority of the game, with the Steelmen being unlucky not to extend their lead after Beddis saw his close range shot saved by Davies. With City holding the numerical advantage, the hosts comfortably saw out the rest of the game without any danger as they finally secured a welcome victory for the first time this year.  

FT 3-1

After a long winless run, City will be encouraged and relieved to finally secure a priceless win.  The side will now hope to build on this victory and continue improving as they aim look to climby up the table.

To read more about the fortunes of Newport City, visit or follow @yddraigHQ on Twitter.

Marc Davies


Previous meetings

15 Sep 17 19:30 WFL 3 Newport City v Caerau FC 4 - 0
27 Mar 18 19:15 WFL 3 Caerau FC v Newport City 4 - 3
06 Oct 18 14:30 WFL 3 Caerau FC v Newport City 2 - 1
27 Feb 19 19:30 WFL 3 Newport City v Caerau FC 3 - 1

Enjoy this blog? Please spread the word :)