Monday, July 26
Newport, Gwent, UK

Match Centre

1st Team

Cardiff Met Uni


Newport City

Friendly 26/07/2017 @ 19:15 Cyncoed Campus Stadium

Newport City continued their impressive pre-season preparations with a well earned draw against Welsh Premier League side Cardiff Metropolitan University at Cyncoed Campus.

In what proved to be a scrappy opening affair, the first serious chance of the game fell to City’s Paddy Pope who saw his strike from just outside the penalty area comfortably saved by the opposition ‘keeper in the 26th minute. The Steelmen gradually grew in confidence and almost scored soon after when a close range shot from Jake Buckley and a long range effort from a triallist were both saved. City continued to ramp up the pressure and came very close to taking the lead in the 33rd minute when Mark Dunford cleverly found himself through on goal and forced the Archers’ ‘keeper into an excellent low save inside the area. Cardiff Met eventually managed to register a serious chance on goal in the 40th minute when City ‘keeper Jack Cropper was called into action to save a header. However the hosts did manage to score just three minutes later when a low shot from inside the edge of the area managed to creep past the left hand near post and into the back of the net as the Archers entered the interval ahead arguably against the run of play.  

HT 1-0

The hosts began the second half very strongly as they found themselves clean through on goal and struck a very good opportunity over the bar. The Archers continued to pile on the pressure and almost doubled their lead two minutes later but Cropper managed to superbly tip a long range strike wide of goal and keep the Steelmen in the game. City responded to the pressure

superbly and levelled the score in the 50th minute when Nathan Thompson managed to tap in the equaliser from close range following a delivery from a corner. The hosts thought they were back in front twelve minutes later after converting an effort into the back of the net but saw the goal

disallowed for offside. City almost scored late on when Benardin Fetahi found himself through on goal following a counter attack in the 77th minute, but sent a low shot straight at the opposition ‘keeper. The Archers almost won the game in the 85th minute after Cropper produced a superb reaction save low down with his foot from a header inside the area. Thompson had a chance to win the game for City with the last kick of the game but sent his audacious chip from near the touchline wide of goal as the Steelmen ultimately settled for a hard earned draw against last season’s WPL Europa League play-off finalists.

FT 1-1

Overall it was a satisfying night for Newport City and a morale boosting performance ahead of another testing upcoming pre-season encounter at home against Cirencester Town on Friday, August 4th.  

 Marc Davies

Cardiff Met Uni 1 - 1 Newport City

HT: 1 - 0
  • Wednesday 26 July 2017 @ 19:15
  • Friendly 
  • Cyncoed Campus Stadium

Previous meetings

26 Jul 17 19:15 Friendly Cardiff Met Uni v Newport City 1 - 1
12 Jul 18 19:30 Friendly Cardiff Met Uni v Newport City 1 - 3

Enjoy this blog? Please spread the word :)