Monday, July 26
Newport, Gwent, UK

Match Centre

1st Team

Newport City


Cwmbran Town

Friendly 08/07/2017 @ 11:00 Llanrumney Fields

Newport City continued their pre-season preparations in fine form following a convincing performance against Cwmbrân Town at Llanrumney Sports Fields.

Both sides started the game brightly after Triallist 1 struck hit the woodwork following a smart team move by City in the 8th minute, while the Steelmen’s Triallist Goalkeeper produced a quickfire double save from Cwmbrân’s attackers just two minutes later. City reacted positively and won a free kick on the edge of the area following a foul on Triallist 1 in the 16th minute. The resulting free kick was superbly converted by Jordan Chubb who curled the ball into the top right hand corner of the net to put City ahead. The Steelmen grew in confidence and almost doubled the lead seven minutes later when Benardin Fetahi saw a long range effort saved by the Cwmbrân ‘keeper. City continued to dominate and deservedly doubled their lead in the 35th minute when Chubb grabbed his second goal of the game after seeing his low curling strike from the left hand side of the penalty area deflect off the opposition ‘keeper and into the back of the net as the side entered the interval in full control.

The Steelmen continued to dominate the second half and trebled their lead in the 52nd minute when Fetahi sent a left hand strike into the bottom left hand corner of the net following some good work from Triallist 1. The Crows however managed to pull a goal back in the 60th minute after a cross into the penalty area from the right hand side was diverted into the back of net through a connecting header. City responded well as Aaron Carew fired a shot narrowly wide in the 65th minute, before Triallist 1 saw a close range shot saved just two minutes later following a well delivered cross by Triallist 2. The pressure finally paid off in the 75th minute following a brilliant solo effort from Triallist 3 who tricked his way into the penalty area and fired an effort into bottom left hand side of the net to effectively seal game for the Steelmen. City continued to apply the pressure as Triallist 3 and Andrew Coleman both had further chances to extend the lead in the final ten minutes. However the game was almost turned on its head towards the end after

Cwmbrân managed to score twice in stoppage time to set up a grandstand finish. Despite the nervy ending, the Steelmen controlled the reminder of the game and ultimately managed to secure the victory.

Overall it was another good day for Newport City and a boost ahead of next week’s pre-season encounter against Usk Town.

Marc Davies

Newport City 4 - 3 Cwmbran Town

HT: 3 - 1
  • Saturday 8 July 2017 @ 11:00
  • Friendly 
  • Llanrumney Fields

Previous meetings

08 Jul 17 11:00 Friendly Newport City v Cwmbran Town 4 - 3

Enjoy this blog? Please spread the word :)