Tuesday, June 15
Newport, Gwent, UK

Match Centre

1st Team

Newport City



Welsh League Division 3 02/05/2018 @ 19:45 Newport Stadium

Newport City’s recent woes continued as they completed their home campaign with a disappointing 2-1 home defeat to Ynysygerwn.

City started the game strongly during the opening stages as Bernardin Fetahi and Matthew Flynn both forced Ynysygerwn ‘keeper Nicholas Maggs into key saves, while Andrew Muscat also powered a header narrowly wide over the bar.  The visitors eventually responded well and came close to opening the scoring on the half hour mark through Tom Phillips, who saw a close range header tipped over the bar by City ‘keeper Nicholas King.  Phillips did force the ball into the back of the net just a minute later but saw his goal disallowed for a foul on King; while the latter produced a save from Alex Brown’s strike soon after as the visitors cranked up the pressure.

The visitors did eventually take the lead a minute before the interval when a through ball by Joe Humphreys sent Captain Dan Griffin clear on goal inside the area and allowed him to slide the ball low into the back of the net.  Things got worse for City in first half stoppage time after Griffin dispossessed Muscat on the edge of the area, sending a pass into the path of Daniel Thomas who struck a low shot into the bottom right hand corner of the net to double the visitors’ lead leaving City with a mountain to climb.

HT 0-2 

City restarted the game much more positively and came close to pulling a goal back five minutes into the second half through Fetahi only for him to see his free kick strike tipped over the bar by Maggs.  Flynn also sent another free kick narrowly wide past the right hand post shortly after, while Jordan Francombe powered a close range header over the bar.  The Steelmen were eventually rewarded for their efforts in the 66th minute after a left sided cross by Fetahi was sent into the six yard box where Francombe was on hand to drive the ball in at the near post and pull one back for the hosts.

Buoyed by the goal, City almost equalised five minutes later after Fetahi managed to cut inside the area and set up a brilliant opportunity to the unmarked Flynn who agonisingly blasted a shot over the bar.  The Steelmen continued to pressurise and came even closer to equalising with ten minutes left through Andrew Coleman who managed to tap the ball wide past the right hand post from four yards out following a free kick delivery.  Coleman came close once again three minutes later after connecting on to a Francombe pass inside the area, but the right back saw his weak low strike saved by Maggs.

The visitors also came close to extending their lead through James Newell and Nathan Davies who both saw efforts saved by King, while Griffin almost scored his second of the game but sent a close range shot over the bar.  In the end Ynysygerwn managed to secure a victory, while City were once again made to suffer another home game blues.

FT 1-2

The Steelmen once again experienced another frustrating home result.  With only three victories recorded at the Newport Stadium all season, City will need to re-discover their home comforts during the next campaign if they are to progress.  

To read more about the fortunes of Newport City, visit y-ddraig.co.uk or follow @yddraigHQ on Twitter.

Newport City 1 - 2 Ynysygerwn

HT: 0 - 2
  • Wednesday 2 May 2018 @ 19:45
  • Welsh League Division 3 
  • Newport Stadium

Previous meetings

24 Nov 17 19:45 WFL 3 Ynysygerwn v Newport City 1 - 4
02 May 18 19:45 WFL 3 Newport City v Ynysygerwn 1 - 2
26 Oct 18 19:30 WFL 3 Ynysygerwn v Newport City 0 - 2
28 Dec 18 19:30 WFL 3 Newport City v Ynysygerwn 1 - 3
10 Jan 20 19:30 WFL D2 Ynysygerwn v Newport City
10 Apr 20 16:00 WFL D2 Newport City v Ynysygerwn

Enjoy this blog? Please spread the word :)