Monday, July 26
Newport, Gwent, UK

Match Centre

1st Team

Trefelin BGC


Newport City

Welsh League Division 3 09/09/2017 @ 14:30 Newport Stadium

Newport City endured a miserable day as they were soundly beaten by Trefelin in a match played in difficult conditions at Ynys Park, Port Talbot.

Having experienced a difficult start to the season, the Steelmen were keen to bounce back with a win and started the game positively as they managed to adequately deal with the physical challenges made by the hosts in what was a scrappy opening affair. City almost took the lead in the 18th minute following a smart run by Jordan Chubb who cut into the penalty area and struck a low effort into the side netting. City continued to pressurise and were soon awarded a free kick close to the touchline. Martyn Mickiewicz connected onto the free kick delivery from Sam Graves and the City midfielder thumped the ball into the back of the net from close range to hand the
visitors a deserved 20th minute lead.

Trefelin responded well and almost equalised in the 35th minute when Shaun Best nodded Travis Monks-Lande’s cross into the path of Jamie Latham, who contrived to send his strike over the bar from five yards out. Latham almost atoned for his miss on the stroke of half time after seeing a strike drag narrowly wide across the face of goal as the hosts finished the first half strongly.

HT 1-0

The hosts started the second half strongly and immediately won a free kick in a threatening position after City ‘keeper Phil Draper was booked for allegedly handling outside the area. Draper instantly made amends for his error by producing a superb top right hand corner save from the resulting free kick taken by Latham. However City’s luck ran out shortly after when the following corner delivery found its way into the path of Latham who made no mistake by firing the ball into the bottom left hand corner to level the score in the 50th minute.

Things got worse for City just two minutes later after Latham fed Dylan Thomas who was unmarked inside the area and smashed an effort into the bottom left hand corner to put the hosts ahead. Things continued to worsen for the Steelmen three minutes later when Best struck a fine shot from the edge of the penalty area into the back of the net to double the hosts’ lead and made it a miserable opening ten minutes of the second half for City.

City tried to fight their way back into the game and almost scored on the hour mark when Andrew Muscat sent an overhead kick wide past the right hand post after connecting on to a corner delivery. The heavy rainfall made it difficult for City to claw their way back into the game, and frustrations boiled over in the 80th minute as City were reduced to ten men when substitute Tom Rutherford was sent for dissent.

Trefelin took full advantage of the sending off as Best calmly slid the ball low past Draper after being put clean through on goal in the 87th minute. The hosts compounded the pain on City in stoppage time when the impressive Latham assisted Thomas, who smartly chipped the ball over the advancing Draper to score his second goal of the game and sealed a thumping 5-1 victory for his side.

FT 1-5

Despite a bright start, City struggled to cope with the intensity of the second half as they once again found themselves at the wrong end of a heavy defeat following their second half collapse in their previous game against Swansea University. The side must now re-group and focus on this Friday’s home encounter against Caerau F.C as they aim to arrest a slide of four consecutive defeats.

Marc Davies


Previous meetings

09 Sep 17 14:30 WFL 3 Trefelin BGC v Newport City 5 - 1
18 Nov 17 14:00 WFL 3 Newport City v Trefelin BGC 0 - 3
18 Aug 18 14:30 WFL 3 Trefelin BGC v Newport City 3 - 2
02 Mar 19 14:30 WFL 3 Newport City v Trefelin BGC 0 - 4
06 Oct 19 13:30 FAWYC Newport City v Trefelin BGC
01 Dec 19 14:00 WYL Newport City v Trefelin BGC
16 Feb 20 14:00 WYL Trefelin BGC v Newport City

Enjoy this blog? Please spread the word :)