Monday, July 26
Newport, Gwent, UK

Match Centre

1st Team

Newport City


Treharris Athletic Western

Welsh League Division 3 07/10/2017 @ 14:30 Newport Stadium

Newport City’s recent winning run came to end following a shock 3-0 defeat against bottom of the table side Treharris Athletic Western. 

The visitors started the game strongly and took the lead in the 10th minute following a neat counter attacking move as Alex Jones sent a defence-splitting pass to Jaymie Wearn who raced clear into the penalty area and calmly slotted the ball into the bottom left hand corner of the net.  City came close to equalising almost immediately when Bernardin Fetahi delivered a free kick into the path of Kareem Leigh, but the midfielder saw his goal bound effort hooked off the line.  

Treharris responded strongly and almost doubled their lead in the 13th minute when another counter attacking move saw Scott Badman through clear on goal, but saw his low shot turned away by Tsvetan Pateev.  A foul by Andrew Muscat on the edge of the penalty area two minutes later presented another dangerous opportunity to the visitors, but the resulting free kick from Wearn was comfortably saved by Pateev.  City were also awarded a free kick soon after, 10 yards outside the area, but Jordan Chubb fired his effort over the bar.  The visitors responded by re-applying the pressure and eventually doubled their lead in the 33th minute. The goal came  after City failed to clear a corner which allowed Treharris’ Gareth Davies to fire a close range strike, taking a heavy deflection off the unlucky Muscat with the ball diverting into the top left hand corner of the net.     

The visitors almost trebled their lead five minutes later following another smart counter attack, but Dan Smith sent his effort from the edge of the area narrowly wide of the left-hand post.  City tried to claw a goal back before the break and came close in the 42nd minute though Tom Rutherford who saw a low close range strike saved by Treharris ‘keeper Leighton James.   

HT 0-2

City re-started the game brightly and came close to pulling one back in the 47th minute when Chubb darted down the right-hand channel before cutting into the area, but blazed his effort over the bar. The hosts were made to rue that miss eight minutes later when Alex Jones skillfully managed to trick his way past the City defence inside the area and calmly slot the ball into the back of the net to effectively end the game as a contest.


The Steelmen attempted to claw their way back into the game and came close to scoring on the hour mark after an impressive run and pass by Nick Simock found Leigh inside the six-yard box, but the midfielder sent an audacious overhead kick wide.  Simcock found himself in the thick of the action again five minutes later, but sent a close range header wide after connecting onto a cross from Fetahi. City continued to pressurise in search of a consolation goal and won a free kick on the edge of the area in the 70th minute, but Chubb sent his curled effort wide over the bar.

Despite the late onslaught, City failed to find their way on the score sheet as they were ultimately forced to reflect on a difficult afternoon. 

FT 0-3

 Overall it was a frustrating day for the Steelmen as they were convincingly beaten by a resurgent Treharris Athletic Western.  City must learn from their mistakes and avoid any further complacency as they aim to get back to winning ways at Tredegar Town this Saturday.

To read more about the fortunes of Newport City, visit or follow @yddraigHQ on Twitter.

Marc Davies


Previous meetings

07 Oct 17 14:30 WFL 3 Newport City v Treharris Athletic Western 0 - 3
08 May 18 18:30 WFL 3 Treharris Athletic Western v Newport City 6 - 4
19 Sep 18 19:30 WFL 3 Newport City v Treharris Athletic Western 1 - 2
23 Feb 19 14:00 WFL 3 Treharris Athletic Western v Newport City 3 - 1
09 Nov 19 14:00 WFL D2 Treharris Athletic Western v Newport City 2 - 5
21 Feb 20 19:30 WFL D2 Newport City v Treharris Athletic Western 3 - 2

Enjoy this blog? Please spread the word :)