Monday, July 26
Newport, Gwent, UK

Match Centre

1st Team

Newport City


Pontyclun FC

Welsh League Division 3 30/09/2017 @ 14:30 Newport Stadium

Newport City continued their recent revival by securing a third successive win following a hard-earned 2-0 victory over Pontyclun. 

City started the game superbly and took the lead in the 10th minute when Jordan Francombe delivered a cross into the path of Nick Simcock who smashed an unstoppable strike into the top left-hand corner from just inside the penalty area. Things got even better for the hosts just two minutes later when a through ball from Simcock found Bernardin Fetahi, with the skillful Italian then collecting the ball and sending a chipped effort over Pontyclun ‘keeper James Billington and into the back of the net to double City’s lead. 

The Steelmen continued to dominate and almost scored again in the 21st minute when a cross by Jordan Chubb from the halfway line was brilliantly chest controlled by Simcock inside the area, but the converted striker saw his low strike saved by Billington. City almost scored again just two minutes later when Fetahi sent a curling effort from the edge of the area wide over the bar. 

The visitors eventually grew into the game as City ‘keeper Tsvetan Pateev was forced into crucial saves with efforts from Joel Woodington and Jarrad Hill.  City responded well to the visitors’ pressure, and almost trebled their lead in the 43rd minute when the impressive Simcock took advantage of slack defending from Pontyclun, but saw his close range low strike saved by Billington. The Steelmen came close again a minute later when debutant Kareem Leigh burst into the right-hand side of the penalty area, but the attacking midfielder sent his strike into the side netting. 

HT 2-0

The Steelmen re-started the game positively and almost scored again in the 51st minute when Leigh managed to connect on to a delivery from Chubb at the far post, but managed to direct his header narrowly wide over the bar. The visitors responded strongly and came very close to pulling a goal back just a minute later when Oliver James saw his strike from the edge of the area clip the top of bar before flying wide over.  Pontyclun continued to pressurise and came close again when Woodington saw a shot saved by Pateev, while Chris Bullock saw a strike deflect narrowly wide past the right-hand post.      

City managed to withstand the pressure well and came close adding a third when Dean Palmer delivered a free kick on to the path of Andrew Muscat who powered a header just wide of the right-hand post. The hosts came close once again in the 87th minute through Fetahi, but the Italian managed to send his strike wide over the bar. Despite a lengthy amount of stoppage time being added, the Steelmen managed to comfortably hold on to the lead and secure a vital win.

FT 2-0

Overall Newport City will have every reason to feel proud about this victory following a professional display which extended their winning streak to three games.  The side will rightly feel confident as they look forward to continuing their good form in this weekend’s home clash against Treharris Athletic Western.

To read more about the fortunes of Newport City, visit or follow @yddraigHQ on Twitter.

Marc Davies


Previous meetings

30 Sep 17 14:30 WFL 3 Newport City v Pontyclun FC 2 - 0
13 Jan 18 14:00 WFL 3 Pontyclun FC v Newport City 1 - 2
25 Aug 18 14:30 WFL 3 Pontyclun FC v Newport City 2 - 1
24 Nov 18 14:00 WFL 3 Newport City v Pontyclun FC 3 - 3
01 Feb 20 14:00 WFL D2 Newport City v Pontyclun FC 0 - 3
25 Apr 20 14:30 WFL D2 Pontyclun FC v Newport City

Enjoy this blog? Please spread the word :)