Monday, July 26
Newport, Gwent, UK

Match Centre

1st Team

Newport City


Caerau FC

Welsh League Division 3 15/09/2017 @ 19:30 Newport Stadium

Newport City got back to winning ways as they bounced back in style with a thumping 4-0 victory over Caerau.

City started the game superbly and took the lead in the first minute after Richard Yarr fed Jordan Chubb who darted down the right flank before cutting inside the penalty area, slotting the ball low into the bottom left hand corner of the net to score a superb solo effort. Chubb was once again in the thick of the action six minutes later after forcing Caerau ‘keeper Matthew Rees into a double save inside the six yard box. City continued to pressurise and were awarded a free kick halfway inside the opposition area in the 12th minute. The resulting free kick was delivered into the path of Mark Dunford who saw his header saved by Rees before Andrew Coleman headed the rebound into the back of the net from close range to double the hosts’ lead.

The Steelmen continued to dominate and almost scored again in the 17th minute when Chubb struck a 30 yard effort only to witness it go wide. They did eventually treble their lead in the 23rd minute when the impressive Chubb sent a low cross into the six yard box where Dunford was on hand for a simple tap in past Matthew Rees. Things got even better for City when Andrew Muscat struck a shot against the left hand post only for the rebound to fall to Dunford, who smashed the ball in from close range to bag his second goal of the game, capping off an emphatic first half performance from the hosts.

HT 4-0

Caerau significantly improved during the second half as they attempted to claw their way back into the game. The visitors occasionally threatened as they fired a number of decent opportunities but sent their efforts wide of goal, whilst City ‘keeper Phil Draper had to be on alert by making an impressive double save in the final twenty minutes of the game.

The visitors continued to apply pressure in the hope of bagging a consolation goal but
continued to send respectable efforts wide. The Steelmen responded with couple of decent efforts as Robbie James skied an effort over the bar when clean through on goal, whilst substitute Nick Simock saw a strike saved by Matthew Rees. City eventually managed to see out the game professionally enough as they sealed a convincing morale boosting victory.

FT 4-0

After a run of four consecutive defeats, City found the perfect response with a top class
performance and showed strong determination to avoid another second half collapse as they recorded their first win since the opening game of the season. The side will now hope to build on the victory and focus on this weekend’s FAW Welsh Trophy second round clash at Merthyr Saints as they aim to avoid another early cup exit.

To read more about the fortunes of Newport City, visit or follow @yddraigHQ on Twitter.

Marc Davies


Previous meetings

15 Sep 17 19:30 WFL 3 Newport City v Caerau FC 4 - 0
27 Mar 18 19:15 WFL 3 Caerau FC v Newport City 4 - 3
06 Oct 18 14:30 WFL 3 Caerau FC v Newport City 2 - 1
27 Feb 19 19:30 WFL 3 Newport City v Caerau FC 3 - 1

Enjoy this blog? Please spread the word :)