Wednesday, June 16
Newport, Gwent, UK

Match Centre

1st Team

Newport City


Swansea University

Welsh League Division 3 25/08/2017 @ 19:30 Newport Stadium

Having already suffered two early cup exits in their previous two games, Newport City experienced further misery after falling to a heavy defeat at home against Swansea University.

The hosts started the game strongly and came close to taking the lead in the fourth minute when Jake Buckley saw a close range strike deflect narrowly wide of the right hand post after being teed up by Jordan Chubb. From the resulting corner, Nathan Thompson directed a header over the bar as City ramped up the pressure. They were eventually rewarded for their dominance just five minutes later after Chubb saw his strike blocked inside the left hand penalty area, but the loose ball was superbly smacked into the bottom left hand corner of the net by Bernardin Fahia who put the hosts deservedly ahead.

The visitors eventually grew into the game and came very close to equalising in the 22nd minute when Howell saw his curling effort from the edge of the box bounce of the right hand post, while Chris Fanet headed over the bar from nine yards out seventeen minutes later. Swansea Uni did level the score four minutes before the interval when Nicholas Hyden struck the ball from the edge of the right hand penalty area, which flew past City ‘keeper Jack Cropper and into the bottom left hand corner. City thought they had re-taken the lead on the stroke of half time when Robbie James powered a header into the back of the net but saw the effort ruled out for offside.

HT 1-1

Swansea Uni restarted the game very positively and came close to taking the lead in the 48th minute when Howell smacked an effort against the post. Cropper was once again in action seven minutes later with a big save after another effort from Howell who was clean through on goal. The visitors were eventually rewarded for their dominance in the 57th minute when the unlucky Cropper spilled a shot from Howell straight into the path of Fanet who smashed the ball into the back of the net from close range to put the students ahead.

It was becoming clear that the Steelmen were feeling the effects of playing 120 minutes of football just two days earlier as they struggled to make any serious impact in the second half. Changes were made throughout the half as player-coach Mark Dunford, Jordan Francombe and Andy Coleman were introduced on to the field in the hope of aiding a fightback from the hosts.

However the visitors continued to control the game and extended their lead in the 74th minute after Hyden thumped a deflected free kick into the bottom left hand corner of the net. Things didn’t get any easier for City as Swansea Uni continued to pile the pressure on the beleaguered hosts. The students extended their lead even further when Hyden added his second of the game after rifling a shot from 10 yards outside the area into the bottom left hand corner in injury time.

FT 1-4

Despite starting the game strongly, City struggled to overcome the fatigue developed from their clash against Risca United just 48 hours earlier. Overall it was a frustrating week for Newport City as they endured the pain of three consecutive defeats. The Steelmen will hope to take advantage of the two week international break and recharge their batteries as they aim to get their season back on track.

 Marc Davies


Previous meetings

25 Aug 17 19:30 WFL 3 Newport City v Swansea University 1 - 4
08 Mar 18 20:00 WFL 3 Swansea University v Newport City 4 - 0
15 Sep 19 14:00 FAWWC Newport City v Swansea University

Enjoy this blog? Please spread the word :)