Monday, July 26
Newport, Gwent, UK

Match Centre

1st Team

Treowen Stars


Newport City

Welsh League Division 3 12/08/2017 @ 14:30 Bush Park

Newport City opened their Welsh League Division 3 campaign with all 3 points away at Treowen Stars. The long grass at Bush Park made it difficult to play the way they wanted so at times the team had to dig in to keep on top.

City were out of the blocks quickly and an early chance came after just 3 minutes, a cross from the right by new signing Jordan Francombe found his namesake Jordan Chubb on the left who brought the ball down brilliantly only to see his shot sail over the bar. In the 12 minute City took the lead when a great ball from deep by centre half Nathan Thompson found Francombe out on the right. Francombe charged forward, cut inside his marker and shot passed Powell in the Treowen goal.

Treowen came close after 21 minutes following a period of sustained pressure when a chip from out on the right beat everyone in the City area and came back off the far post. On the half hour mark City almost doubled the lead when a corner by Richard Yarr from the right found full back Andy Coleman on the edge of the 6 yard box, but his header just cleared the crossbar.

Treowen had another great chance on 38 minutes when midfielder Dean Randall looped a header towards goal, only to see City keeper Tsvetan Pateev pluck the ball out of the air just under the crossbar. Then on the stroke of half time, City got their second. Geraint Passmore was fouled by Treowen’s James Corrigan-Davies on the halfway line. The ball fell to Jordan Chubb and referee Julian Fewings allowed the advantage, Chubb raced forwards and shot from 25 yards into the top left corner. Corrigan-Davies received a yellow card for the foul.

HT Treowen Stars 0 – 2 Newport City

Ten minutes into the second half Treowen pulled a goal back. Some poor defending from City after a ball down their left side resulted in the ball falling to Dean Randall 15 yards out. Randall’s shot through a crowd of players found its way just inside the right post.

City brought on substitutes Ben Fetahi and Nick Simcock to add to the attacking options and these two, along with Geraint Passmore combined for City’s third goal. Some great work down the left from Fetahi saw him hold up the ball and pass inside to Passmore who dodged his way to the left side of the area and crossed to the Simcock who was arriving at the far post to tap in.

FT Treowen Stars 1 – 3 Newport City

A difficult encounter with so many new faces in the squad this season, but an away win all the same. Next up for City is Panteg away in the Welsh Cup on Saturday 19 August.


Previous meetings

12 Aug 17 14:30 WFL 3 Treowen Stars v Newport City 1 - 3
25 Apr 18 19:30 WFL 3 Newport City v Treowen Stars 2 - 3
09 Feb 19 14:00 WFL 3 Newport City v Treowen Stars 3 - 3
23 Mar 19 14:30 WFL 3 Treowen Stars v Newport City 0 - 0
02 Nov 19 14:00 WFL D2 Newport City v Treowen Stars 1 - 3
09 May 20 14:30 WFL D2 Treowen Stars v Newport City

Enjoy this blog? Please spread the word :)